Saturday, May 30, 2009

Supreme Court nominee


Many times Ive said in a joking matter that I'm smarter then most men, however I was referring to ALL men. If I had ever said I'm smarter then Latino men then I would have been labeled a raciest.
Webster defines Racism as: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism
Hummm now what was it Sotomayor said? Sotomayor said, “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.” That is one of the most racist things I have ever heard. Yes I have read the whole Lecture: ‘A Latina Judge’s Voice’http://rt.nu/osqy sure I get it she had a hard life I'm sorry but so has 90% of Americans. Question, does her understanding of hard times and being a minority make her a better Judge.
A Judge is there to rule on cases based on the Letter of the law, not on emotional understanding.
what is a Supreme Court Justices suppose to do? To check and make sure the lower court judges have ruled based on the letter of the law. When there is not a clear cut case their job is to interpret the laws and the Constitution of the United States of America as our four fathers meant it to mean!
My question is will she interpret these laws the same for all races?
Not from what I have seen of her thus far. I feel sorry for anyone that is in her court that is not Latino.
(Picture was taken from the web)

2 comments:

  1. you're conservative views rub me the wrong way, but i respect your right to them.... it almost sounds like 'white fear' i'm mixed hertage, do you think the 'white' or 'male'judges were thinking w/ me in mind. would a white woman have pleased you more? we've never had a latino, a huge percentage of this melting pot we call america, wh the distrust? your question is 'will she interpret the laws the same for all races' seems premature... why not wait and see what she does..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel first thank you for your post and to answer some of your questions ...
    I was just making a point about what she said and that it seems to me that its all about the latino race which concerns me. my sister and my daughters are latino and I am native american so its not a white vs latino issue,its a fairness to all races issue ,No one in power should be thinking in terms of race. And you are right in that we will have to wait and see how she will rule.

    ReplyDelete